THE KARNATAKA PANCHAYAT RAJ ACT, 1993, specifies the constitution of Taluk Panchayat, functions, duties and powers of taluk panchayat adhyaksha and upadhyaksha. The Act, provides for a 3- tier structure of Panchayats. The Zilla Panchayat forms the apex institution at the district level. Each of the 10 taluks in Belagavi district has the Taluk Panchayat, where again the members are directly elected from the people, and which has a similar administrative structure headed by the Executive Officer (EO).
Not withstanding anything contained in sub-section(1) or schedule I , it shall be obligatory on the part of the Taluk Panchayat, in so far as the Taluk Panchayat fund at its disposal will allow, to make reasonable provision within the area under its jurisdiction in respect of the following matters, namely
- Construction and augmentation of water supply works to the level of not less than forty litres per capita per day;
- Filing half yearly report regarding the activities of Grama Panchayats within the taluk regarding:-
- Holding of Grama Sabha;
- Maintenance of Water supply works;
- Construction of individual and community latrine;
- Collection and revision of taxes, rates and fees;
- Payment of electricity charges;
- Enrollment in schools;
- Progress of immunisation.
- Providing adequate number of class rooms and maintaining primary school buildings in proper condition including water supply and sanitation;
- Acquiring land for locating the manure pits away from dwelling houses in the villages.
Each Taluk Panchayat consits of the following standing Committees:
- General Standing Committee
- Finance, Audit and Planning Committee;
- Social Justice Committe
||Sri. J D Joshi
||Sri. Ramachandra Y Hosamani
||Sri. S M Kamble
||Sri. Mallikarjun Meti