The Karnataka Panchayat Raj Act, 1993 provides for a 3- tier structure of Panchayats. The Zilla Panchayat is an apex institution at the district level comprising of members directly elected by the people administratively headed by the Chief Executive Officer(CEO). Each of the five taluks in the Dharwad district has a Taluk Panchayat, where again the members are directly elected from the people, and which has administrative structure similar to Zilla Panchayat, headed by the Executive Officer(EO). At the lowest level there are the Gram Panchayats which are having jurisdiction over a group of villages so notified.
- Zilla Panchayat - At the district level
- Taluka Panchayat - At the taluka level
- Gram panchayat - Group of villages notified as a gram panchayat
The political body of Dharwad Zilla Panchayat consists of the following members :
- 22 Members are elected from geographically demarcated constituencies from within the rural areas of the district
- All the Members of Parliament (MPs) in the district
- The Members of the StateLegislative Assembly (MLAs) & the State Legislative Council (MLCs)
- The Adhyakshas of the 5 taluk Panchayats in the district
The term of elected 22 new members Zilla Panchayat is 5 years. The hierarchy of the elected representatives in zp may be visualised as shown below :
The Zilla Panchayat shall have the following Standing committees, namely:-
- General Standing Committee;
- Finance, Audit and Planning Committee;
- Social Justice Committee;
- Education and Health Committee;
- Agriculture and Industries Committee;
5 standing committees have been formed. Each standing Committee consists of zilla panchayat members not exceeding seven in number including the chairman, who are elected by the zilla panchayat from among the elected members.
THE ELECTED BODIES
Dharwad Zilla Panchayath is an elected body constituted of the following members
- 22 Members are elected from geographically demarcated constituencies from within the rural areas of the district.
- 2 Members of Parliament of the district .
- Members of State Legislative Assembly and State Legeslative Council of the district.
- The Adyaksha of five Taluk Panchayaths of the district.
Adhyaksha and Upadhyaksha :are elected from the directly elected members of the Zilla Pachayath.
Standing Committee :To facilitate greater discussion in the functioning of zilla panchayat, 5 standing committees have been formed. Each standing committee consists of zilla panchayath members not exceeding seven in number including the chairman, who are elected by the zilla panchayath from among the elected members.
Term of Office :The term of office of the Adhyaksha, the Upadhyaksha and standing committee is 20 months. The term of elected members is 5years.